Chania, a stunning city located on the enchanting island of Crete in Greece, is not only known for its picturesque landscapes and rich history but also for being part of the Greek Golden Visa program. The Golden Visa offers a unique opportunity for investors seeking a Mediterranean lifestyle and a foothold in the European Union.
Chania is often considered the jewel of Crete, boasting a captivating mix of natural beauty and cultural heritage. From its pristine beaches, historic Old Town, to the lush countryside, this city has something for everyone. Investing in Chania not only secures you a Golden Visa but also a gateway to an idyllic Mediterranean lifestyle.
Understanding the Golden Visa Program
The Greek Golden Visa program allows non-European investors and their families to obtain a residency permit by investing in real estate. In Chania, this means acquiring property with a minimum value, typically exceeding €250,000. Here’s how you can navigate the program:
– Choose a property in Chania that meets the minimum investment criteria.
– Real estate experts can assist you in finding the right property that suits your needs.
Investor Visa/Golden Visa Resident Permits
Greece’s Investor, or “Golden” visas, cost €2000 for an application (plus an additional €16 for the card), and are valid for up to 5 years. Each family member over 18 is another €150. All of this is on top of your chosen investment. It’s worth noting that if investing in a property, as of May 1, 2023, the minimum amount required is €500,000 in the greater Athens area, Thessaloniki, Mykonos, and Santorini. In all other areas, the minimum required amount is €250,000 like in Crete island.
The documents you need to apply for the investor visa are:
Copy of valid passport recognized by Greece
Proof of private health insurance
Motion from the Ministry of Development and Investments regarding the type and amount of the investment.
Digital Nomad Visa
Digital Nomads can also apply for a residence permit for up to two years for the cost of €1000, and require the following documentation:
Copy of valid passport or travel document recognized by Greece.
National entry (D) visa.
Proof of private health insurance.
A sworn declaration, stating your intention to reside in Greece and work remotely, and explicitly not provide any work or services to an employer based in Greece.
An employment contract or contracts showing employment is outside of Greece.
Proof of sufficient resources to cover the cost of living during their stay. (€3.500 a month, add 20% for the spouse or partner, and an additional 15% for each child).
Tenancy agreement or purchase contract in Greece.
– Seek legal advice from experts in Greek immigration laws.
– They will guide you through the legal procedures and documentation.
– Complete the application form for the Golden Visa program.
– Submit the necessary documents, including proof of the property purchase, passport, and other financial documents.
Approval and Residency
– Once approved, you and your family will be granted a five-year residence permit.
– This permit can be renewed, and after five years, you can apply for permanent residency.
Benefits of the Golden Visa in Chania
1. European Lifestyle: Chania offers a high quality of life with access to healthcare, education, and a safe environment.
2. Visa-Free Travel: Holders of the Golden Visa can travel visa-free within the Schengen Area.
3. Investment Potential: Chania’s real estate market has the potential for appreciation, making it a sound financial investment.
4. Cultural Riches: Immerse yourself in Greek culture, enjoy the Mediterranean cuisine, and explore the rich history of Chania.
5. Education and Healthcare: Access to quality education and healthcare for you and your family.
The Golden Visa program in Chania, Greece, provides a unique opportunity to secure residency in a city known for its natural beauty, cultural richness, and Mediterranean charm. With a strategic property investment and the assistance of experts, you can unlock the doors to a new European lifestyle while enjoying all that Chania has to offer.